Our work plays a serious role in our lives. A significant part of our life revolves around work or get affected by it in some or other way. Keeping a healthy work-life balance is not easy in this fast-paced time. Technology makes workers available around the clock. In today’s time leaving office doesn’t mean leaving our work behind.
Everybody wants to do everything – giving the best at work, travel, stay fit, spend time with loved ones and the list goes on. Though, how many of us can admit having a thriving career, sound mind, healthy body, and great relationships at the same time? Striking a balance between work and life can be a real struggle. And so, we have some practical tips on maintaining a work-life balance for you.
Work-Life Balance – How to Achieve it
- Time for yourself: Learn the importance of “me” time. Having some time to yourself can help you recharge and feel energized. With a busy work schedule, it might seem impossible. In that case make sure that you take one hour off when you reach home and spend this time doing what makes you happiest, be it cooking, walking in the park, watching tv, reading a book, or simply doing nothing just lying on the couch.
- Prioritize your life: Part of maintaining a sound work-life balance is setting priorities both at home and at the office. There are limited hours in the day and it is up to you what you think deserves most of your time, attention, and energy. First, people need to identify what truly matters to them. Your KRA won’t tell you to put yourself first, it’s your job to thing about yourself. Work will get affected if you do not have time for yourself outside of it. Get enough sleep
- Get Social: Human is a social being for a reason. We all need friends & family. Make time for people who matter to you, go beyond WhatsApp chats, and indulge in meaningful conversation. Stop looking for excuses to avoid those house parties, give it a shot it can be fun.
- Time Management: Whether you are at home or the office, it is critical to make use of your time efficiently. Don’t let personal issues spill over to the workplace, and equally, if not more important, keep your work issues at the office. Remote workers or individuals who work from home may have a more difficult time drawing a line in the sand between work and life. Time is the most valuable commodity in life: it is the one thing you cannot buy more of.
- Get enough sleep: Sleep plays a crucial role in a healthy lifestyle. The number of hours for a “good night’s sleep” varies from one individual to another but the chances are you need at least seven. Listen to your body, take rest when you are run-down.
- Exercise: Even when we are super busy we make time for crucial things. We eat, sleep, take a smoking break, and yet one of the most crucial needs –exercise is the first thing to disappear when the work pressure rises. So why is it so often left in the new year resolution list? Exercise is an effective stress reducer. It pumps feel-good endorphins through your body. It helps lift your mood and can even give you increased energy levels!
- Take vacations: Vacations are not luxury, they are necessary for a well-balanced and healthy life. Traveling helps us rebooting & reenergizing. The idea is to disconnect from work and the monotonous routine from time to time. And when you come back to work after a break you find yourself more inspired and refreshed.
- Learn to say NO: Sometimes when you try to keep everybody happy, you end up hurting yourself most. It applies both in personal & professional life. “No” is a magic word, and it is okay to say No sometimes. If you feel you are spending too much time in something which doesn’t align with your goals, say No. And it certainly does not implicate that you are running away from responsibilities. It simply means that your time is valuable and should not be spent on non-value adding activities.
- Unplug: There is no doubt that technology has helped our lives in so many ways but at the same time it has made us constantly accessible. The increasing phone addiction doesn’t allow as to stay away from our phone for more than 5 mins. A Digital detox will not only help you spending quality time at work and at home, but you will also feel relaxed and rejuvenated.
- Do not Compare: Never compare yourself with others in both personal & professional life. We often see others having fun and start feeling miserable about ourselves. Everyone has a different life & a different lifestyle, what works for others might not work for you. Instead, focus on the good things you have in your life and indulge in some activities that make you happy. Scrolling on Instagram feeds for hours is not one of them.